Friday 5 April 2013

E as in EGBERT (A-Z Challenge)

Egbert was the king of Wessex (part of what is called England). It's the part that is west of Sussex, but east of Cornwall, long the English Channel.

Egbert's story picks up in 802, after he had been banished to France. (While in France, he was at the court of Charlemagne, where he learned important principles of governing.) In that year, he returned to Wessex and claimed his throne. At the time, he may have been under some control of the ruler of Mercia, named Cenwulf. (Mercia included all of central England.) But on Egbert's accession to the throne, Wessex was attacked by men of Hwicce. (Hwicce was originally an independent kingdom to the north, but had been taken into the Mercian empire.) Egbert send this brother-in-law, AEthelmund to deal with the Hwicceian invaders, which he did, at the cost of his own life. 


Ancient picture of Egbert, from Wikipedia

For a dozen years, Wessex was quiet. That peacefulness ended in 815, when Egbert invaded Dumnonia (now Cornwall) and defeated the Celtic Britons there. 

In 825, Egbert was involved in one of the main battles of Anglo-Saxon England. He defeated Beornwulf of Mercia in a battle which ended Mercian control of South England. Through his son Aethelwulf, Egbert brought together the people of Essex, Kent, Surry, and Sussex. That gave Egbert control of all Southern England. In 829, Egbert  attacked and conquered Mercia, and the following year moved further north and gained control of Northumberland, extending his reign to all of England. He died in 839.

Egbert's son, AEthelwulf, ruled after him, and had to deal with the Danish invaders — the Northmen or Vikings. Then AEthelwulf's son, Alfred, came to the throne. Alfred introduced both military and government reform and fought off the Danes, between 871 and 899. For these things, he came to be known as Alfred "the Great" — the only English king to be given that title. He followed in his grandfather's footsteps, keeping England together. 

All in all, it seems that Egbert was a good Eg. 

(Research notes from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egbert_of_Wessex, accessed April 3, 2103)

Addendum

It started snowing early this morning, and is still snowing as we approach noon. Meaning more snirt and other detritus (see yesterday's Post). And yet another delay to spring.
I wonder how much snow Egbert had to face?

E is also for exceptional, eccentric, eclectic, eager, and empirical (all of which describe the Bear).

Blessings and Bear hugs, friends!

26 comments:

  1. Thank you for that bit of history. Actually, my second ex-husband's brother is called Egbert and it is a common Dutch name. It shows how closely tied all those tribes were with each other, although all speaking in their own dialect. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the information, Irene. Hope you have a wonderful day. It's snowing here. (So much for spring weather.)

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  2. Well, THIS was certainly not what I expected from a gentle Bear. But it was informative, and yeah, he was a good Eg. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well DJan, this gentle Bear was a history major at university, and has spend 30+ years writing the "rough draft of history" as a journalist. Besides, sometimes a writer has to do something different for one's readers, just to keep the work interesting.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  3. Invaders, battles and wars have always been and continue to be a part of life. As much as things change, they remain the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right; some things don't change much. On the other hand, one warrior in Egbert's day might kill or injure half a dozen people in a battle. Now one could kill millions with a nuclear weapon.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  4. II cant see to make a comment here because of the Free Neo, something that is blocking part of the comments box. I just thought you should know this so you can remove it. I found this post interesting, as said above, this war stuff has been going on forever and I for one feel this world should have become a bit more civilized. Instead we are now getting nuclear threats from that whipper snapper (I haven't used those words in a long time) in power in N. Korea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have fixed the problem. Thanks for mention it

      And yes, we could very well have grown out of war. But some people with visions of empire just cannot leave well enough alone. Sadly.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's certainly a lot of fighting and overthrowing. And 1200 years ago too. Amazing to think how little things have changed in that many centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed; things have not changed much. Except in the amount of damage one person can do. But the boys still want to play "King of the Castle"; women, children and Bears get to watch, hopefully at a safe distance.,

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Make mine scrambled, please, Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but my brain is not on the menu.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  8. I read your post and comments, and I can certainly tell you were a history major. If I had to list the subjects that I did not/do not like, history would be at the top of the list.
    I'm impressed that you not only like it, you studied it and write about it. Very impressive, my friend.
    My major in college was English. (That is generally a subject that people don't like, either... :) )
    Warm hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, I had some trouble with English in University. More the instructors and courses than the language, I think. Now, I note all the grammatical mistakes on Facebook and blogging. But I haven't become a "Facebook language Fascist"; I just realize how important it is that I do my best to write and type well. Others are, I assume, trying to do their best.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  9. I always love learning something new. Thank you for the lesson, I didn't know that.

    Keep warm with all that snow out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know much about Egbert until I started doing the research. Then a whole lot of history came together, especially when I realized Alfred was his grandson.

      Thanks for the warm wishes.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  10. English history is fascinating and your post about it is fun to read. Best of the weekend to you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found the research on Egbert fascinating, especially when I found his relation to Alfred. Alfred played a pivotal role in English history.

      I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  11. Wars have been going on forever. Most times over land. I guess it will continue as long as there are people on Earth. You put a lot of work into this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When land = power, there certainly are fights.

      I did put some work into it, but it's more like detective work, connecting dots, etc. I find it all quite fascinating.

      Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  12. I love English history so read this with interest and enjoyed learning about Egbert the Good Eg!

    http://www.mydestinationunknown.com
    A to Z Participant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoy history, too. I always have. I like the histories you do of your adventures, too.

      Hope you have a good weekend!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  13. That was a very nicely done piece of historical detective work. I've been reading Kipling, most recently Puck of Pook's Hill and Rewards and Fairies, a very entertaining means of making snippets of English history educational. He really was an amazing writer and Kim has my vote for the top ten novels of all time.

    We've continued having cold winds and a considerable snowfall a couple of days ago. Then the sun shines in between and it's spring. An odd year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you're enjoying Kipling. He work is educational.

    So, you're been having "peculiar weather." Sorry to hear that.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  15. More snow? Oh no. Thanks for the history lesson - I love information like that. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have just about no control over the show; just as you have little control of the rain. It will happen from time to time until May or June, probably.

      Glad you liked learning about Egbert, and Albert.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.