Thursday 25 April 2013

A NICE AWARD FOR THE BEAR! (Not a part of the A-Z Challenge — Well, but actually it is)

This delightful gift, The Liebster Award, is from Jamie at Being Positive with a Depressive Soul. She and I both live with depression; a pair of depressives do an interesting conversation make. 

Now, the confession. There are instructions that come with this award. For those of you not familiar with the Bear, Bear is terrible at following instructions. If someone said to me, "Go to Hell," that person would have to provide a detailed map. Even then I might not make it.

So, we'll sub-title this post, "In which Bear tries to follow instructions, ah, er, well. . . ." 

Sigh! Pause. Right, then.

Here are the instructions:


These are the Rules nominees are supposed to follow:
1. The Liebster is given by bloggers to other bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
2. Each blogger should post eleven facts about himself or herself.
3. Each blogger should answer the 11 questions that are asked by the person doing the nominating.
4. Choose eleven new bloggers to nominate for the Award and link to them in the post.
5. Create eleven new questions for your nominees.
6. Go back to their pages and tell them they’ve been nominated.
7. No tag backs.


Instruction 1   Less than 200 followers.
Yes, Bear (also known as the Bear) falls into that category.
Whew. That was no work at all. Maybe this won't be so tough.

Instruction 2  Eleven facts about the Bear.
OK, you know about my problem with instructions, right?  On the other hand, this is a chance to introduce myself more fully to those not familiar with me. 

a. I was born after World War Two, but I'm too old to be a Baby Boomer. Hence, I was born a mis-fit, a situation which I have repeatedly demonstrated in my life.
b. I was born at the centre of the universe (Toronto, Canada). There are many who don't know about that geographic distinction. Or pretend not to know. 
c. Toronto (actually, North York) was my home for the first 25 years of my life (minus a couple of months). 
d. During that time, I earned two University degrees. They did not give me the "third degree" in the process. Or so they claim.
e. At the age of 25 (minus a couple of months), I, my wife, our unborn son, and dog Sandie, went west. NO, I was not following the instructions of Horace Greeley. I was following the instructions of The United Church of Canada, which can send newly-ordained ministers wherever it wants. So I got to the west by the grace of God and the will of two committees. (That's how a Church really works!)
f. I began my practice of ministry in a town called Hudson Bay (which was nowhere near that Bay). I practiced, and practiced, and practiced, and still did not get it right. So I changed careers.
g. By that time, we had a son and a daughter. And I had had a surgical procedure to ensure we had no more of either.
h. The career into which I switched was radio news, which I did for a decade. It was a good time.
i. It was radio news which brought me to "River City," after which I went back to being a minister. (Confusing, I realize.)  j. I did post-graduate training at River City's University, in Ethics, and established myself in my third profession, without having received the "third degree" (mentioned above).

So far, so good. 

Instruction 3   Answer some questions from the Award-Giver. 
Here is what I had to deal with:
a. Coke or Pepsi?  "What's the difference?" Bear said, as the space ship lowered behind him.
b. Why do you blog?  Because I like writing, and have done it for a huge part of my life. (I have even won some awards for my journalistic work.)
c. If you could change your name, what name would you chose?   Why would I want to change my name from Rob-bear?
d. Beach, country, or city person? Pre-Cambrian rock, coniferous forest, rivers and lakes. Beautiful country life!
e. If you could trade places with someone for a day, who and why?  The pope. It would be a very different experience of life, and would help me understand things from a different perspective (for this Protestant). Or the Dalai Lama.
f. Purses or shoes? Have you ever seen a Bear with either?
g. Chocolate or Peanut Butter?  Combined.
h. Favourite Colour? Teal. Plum would be a close second.
i. Favourite musician? Stan Rogers (Canadian guy).
j. Favourite blogger? In American terms, I'm pleading the fifth (amendment). As opposed to the fifth of gin.

Instruction 4   Nominate Eleven bloggers for this award (they must have less than 200 followers)
So, in no particular order:

a. Reffie at Confessions of a Reforming Geek
b. Helen at Poetry Matters.
c. susan at phantsythat
d. Karen (kj) at Options for a Better World
e. Janie at That Janie Girl
f. DJan at DJan-ity
g. The Blog Fodder at The Blog Fodder
h. Amanda at Travels with Persephone
i. Carol at Better is Possible
j. Cathie at Life on the Muskoka River
k. J. Cosmo Newbery at Notes on a Serviette (Occasionally X-rated, without warning!)

Several of my best blogger friends didn't make the cut because they have too any followers. Sadly.

Instruction 5   Eleven Questions for Award Recipients.
This is the HARD part.

a. Tea or coffee?
b. Right-handed or left handed?
c. Hair color? Real or commercial (dyed)?
d. What is your place in the birth order of the children in your family?
e. What languages do you use (speak and/or write)?
f. How far from your home have you travelled?
g. Plane, train, or car?
h. Would you like to go into space? (Not the same as being spaced out.) If so, where?
i. What is your favourite colour?
j. If you could be someone else for a day, who would you be?
k. Do you have a favourite blogger? If so, who?

So, I've been a good Bear and followed the instructions. Now I will claim my award!



BTW, did you know that Liebster means "dearer" in English. That Bears more investigation.

 "And that," said Bear, "is that."

Blessings and Bear hugs, friends!

(If you're one the eleven recipients I've listed, I'm coming to get you!)

28 comments:

  1. Fun post! Its nice to know more about you. Sounds like an interesting life so far. Whodda thought bears had such an active life! Being nosey I still want to know about the third career...pepsi/coke not so much! Congratulations you have a fabulous blog! You followed instructions admirably! Z~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

      Third career is in Medical Ethics. It includes 13 years on the Ethics Committee of our Health Region (a umbrella committee for a number of facilities). I've moved on from there to the Animal Research Ethics Board at the university. That group has found it useful to have a Bear on the committee, seeing as we're dealing with research on animals.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (My poetry blog)

      Delete
  2. I am honored that you chose me, Bear. I'll ponder this in bearlike fashion... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works for you, DJan. Questions for you are on this same page — see Instruction 5 above.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (My poetry blog)

      Delete
  3. I loved learning new things about you. You are such a character! :) I'm glad I found you through the A to Z!
    #1204
    A to Z April Blogging Challenge
    http://mauldinfamily1.wordpress.com/2013/04/26/w-is-for-weeping-willow-tree/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a character! I AM A CHARACTER! How could you POSSIBLY say things like that about me! (Even if they are true.)

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (My poetry blog)

      Delete
  4. Liebe Bär,
    Though I am mightily pleased to have been awarded the Liebster ... I must respectfully decline. For, you see, I have shared this (dull) information about myself so many times on Living Boldly, I risk anarchy from the few followers I do have.
    Herzliche Grüße von Woondogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madam; you are well and truly old enough to understand and account for your own behaviour. Meaning you're passed 35. You're a big girl and if an award offered is going to be more problem than blessing, you are perfectly free to decline it. And Bear will entirely understand, and won't cut you out of his will. After all, anyone who can confuse oregano with marijuana must be pretty clever, and needs to get some benefit from life.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on receiving the award. I am sure it is much deserved and thank you for not choosing me as a recipient because the instructions are much too complicated. I do appreciate that.

    It is also nice to get to hear those other facts about you and to get to know you a little bit better, although you do keep hiding behind that Bear Identity.

    xox
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene. I thought of sending a nomination off to you, and then had second thoughts about it. Now, I understand why.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (My poetry blog)

      Delete
  6. YAY!!! I did it!

    Well aren't you the clever one, a bear with two degrees! Chocolate and peanut butter, am with you on that one. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. I hope you are staying well. Pls. write when you can.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (That's my poetry blog)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post! Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. How do I get back to someone on Google? Everything there is hard to figure out.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (My poetry blog)

      Delete
  8. I'm confused. If you were born after WWII, how can you not be a baby boomer? Congratulations on your award. I am depressed, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is simple, Janie. Baby boomers were born in the years 1946 to 1964. So, anyone born between the middle and end of 1945 is too old to be a Baby Boomer.

      Sheesh! And I thought . . . oh, never mind.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  9. Congrats on getting the award. I enjoyed getting to know you better. You're a minister, eh? That's cool. I also like chocolate and peanut butter together. They should be married--oh, they are; it's called a match made in Reeses' heaven. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. Yes, Chocolate and Peanut Butter being married. Interesting imagery. Of course, with so many changes in our collective understanding about marriage, one never quite knows what's possible.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your award!!!!!!!! I really liked getting to learn more about you - I knew some, but I learned more. I do enjoy that. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I trust that I've given you appropriate information.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (That's my poetry blog)

      Delete
  11. Congrats! I love your facts and answers. Nice to know more about you!

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristen. I appreciate your thoughts and support.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (That's my poetry blog)

      Delete
  12. Just back from a few days in the country, helping a friend repair a shearing shed. Will ponder my responses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the nomination, but I too shall pass.
    I do read your blog, though even if I don't comment often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works for you, BF!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (My poetry blog)

      Delete
  14. I love your responses -lots of LOL even though I'm sure there was far too much soul-searching and angst behind some of those dot points. A day as the Pope would be interesting, but your wife and children may not like it;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed that, Pauleen. Since the fortysomething children are on their own, and my wife is encouraging me to do new things in retirement, nobody will miss we if I'm gone for a day.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!
      Bears Noting
      Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

      Delete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.