Thursday 16 January 2014

IN WHICH BEAR 'S LIFE BECOMES STORMY

Weather Warnings

Ezra Pound, American poet of the last century,  wrote an ode to winter which expressed a number of feelings. One line that I remember (more or less) was about "sprayeth bus and sloppeth us." 

That is a good image for the streets of River City today. Water, sand, snow, salt, all over the place. Waiting to attack any unwary pedestrian, or driver. The temperature, in the space of a couple of days, has gone from minus 40 to melting, and above. 

Yes, it's strange, but that's how the weather works up here.  And if we get a flash freeze overnight, everything will be dangerously slippery tomorrow. And I have a friend's funeral to attend.

Meanwhile the wind is picking up, and should reach up to 110 km/hour, or about 70 miles/hour. That's hurricane force wind. Without the hurricane, or tornados. (I'm going to put some extra lead in my boots so I don't blow away.) 

I've checked around the house, for branches or other things which might cause problems. I think we're OK. But we have to put the garbage out tonight, and I'm not so sure how our bin will fare in the bluster and blow. I'm rethinking that plan. 


Back to the Books

I have long thought that I do not read enough books. So I thought I would make a point of reading at least 12 books this year — one a month. I know that's setting the bar terribly low, but I want to succeed. Nothing, after all, succeeds like success; small successes lead to larger successes.

The first book is Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. Actually, de Cervantes wrote it as two separate books, about 10 years apart, which were later combined. It's only 965 pages, really the size of about four books, but, well, whatever. (A book this size will take a long time to read, and will have to be borrowed several times from the library. I won't be reading it in one weekend.) 

As I read along, I'll tell you about what I'm reading. (I'm not great at doing book reviews, so I don't now how this will work.) This will be an irregular feature. But hopefully, it will be fun.

So far, I've discovered that Don Quixote, a gentleman of the La Manchia region of Spain, is the hero. With nothing better to do, he read so many books on chivalry that he drove himself crazy. He decided to become a knight-errant, riding around on his horse and doing noble, chivalrous things. 

But Don Quixote's life is not an easy one. He tried so hard to get things right — he thought he's doing things right — but he invariably seemed to get them wrong. 

For example, he saw some giants in a field, and decided to charge them and kill them, or at least scare them away. But they're not giants; they're windmills. And our poor hero suffered for his indiscretion. 

In another care, he comes to the aid of a boy who is being beaten by has master. Don Quixote rides up and solves the problem (to his thinking), but when he leaves, the hapless lad is beaten even more seriously. 

Don Quixote is, it appears, an accident perpetually looking for a place to happen.

More, the next time.

Oh, I'm also reading A Concise History of Canada' First Nations, by Olive Patricia Dickason. She begins in the period of prehistory, taking time to explain the formation of the various cultures of the groups which, supposedly, crossed the Bering Sea ice bridge more than 10,000 years ago. That's thousands of years before the arrival of the British, French and other Europeans. Dickason details the cultures of various groups of hunters, fishers, and farmers. All quite fascinating. Then the Europeans came. 

Again, more next time.


A Weighty Matter

Some of you may recall that Bear is trying to become smaller. Not shorter, the other way. For the record, Bear became 2.5 pounds smaller over the Christmas holidays. Not what one would normally expect, but, I'll take it. Or, actually, got rid of it.


So, to Conclude

I think that's enough for now. I'm not sure whether I'm walking Wally again today, so I had better check on that.

Blessings and bear hugs, everyone!

30 comments:

  1. You sound good, mr bear. Content, even

    Thank you for the description of don Quixote . I didn't know any of that

    Love
    Ms kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered that book somewhat quixotically. From the tv series The Newsroom, of all places.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Going to funerals are never easy. I hope the weather cooperates for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. And, no, the weather did not co-operate. But we move on.

      Blessings and Bear hugs.

      Delete
  3. Losing any amount over the holidays is commendable, Bear. The books I read are usually not that big and long. I haven't read Don Quixote, but I always think of him "tilting at windmills." I'll enjoy following along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don Quixote makes a lot of mistakes. People who think they are "doing the right thing" often do. Mistaking windmills for giants is very dangerous.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  4. I was never that crazy about Don Quixote. Nor did I like Gulliver's Travels. However, I love Milton and Chaucer. And bear hugs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Gulliver's Travels, and I'm finding Don Quixote a bit much. Chaucer is good; Milton is better. Bear hugs are the best.

      Blessings and more Bear hugs to you!

      Delete
  5. Stormy weather ... made for curling up with a good book. I am reading "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Katy Butler ... Very interesting.

    Stay safe and warm, Rob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your "cuddled up the the storm" reading is a delight. Perhaps the impetus of a poem or two?

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  6. The last time I read Don Quixote was when we read it to our seven year old son as a bedtime book. It took a while, but it's hilarious enough we all enjoyed it enormously.

    We're in the midst of our first snowfall in more than two weeks. In the meanwhile, there's been enough rain to wash all the old snow away and some wonderful sunny and mild days for walking. I hope the ice stays away long enough for you to take care of your obligations.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading Don Quixote is another of my quixotic notions. If you read it to your seven year old son, you're a better parent than I was!

      Snow and ice are the order of the day most days here, sadly. On Saturday, the temperature was +5; yesterday, +2; today -20. Yes, you could say there is some variability in our weather patterns, such as patterns are.

      Hope you are staying well, too. Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I feel like I am Don myself! Good work on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the "weighty" support. And yes, I'm sure he's not the only one tilting at windmills and getting beaten over the head by people he has annoyed. Sigh. The Knight-errant is so much an accident looking for a place to happen.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  8. I love Don Quixote but boy you bears do not go for any light weight reading huh? Enjoy it ...its quite funny in places! and heart wrenching as well... are you taking any recommendations for books? I have a passion for John Stienbeck... normally I would say "The Winter of Our Discontent" but its a bit heavy whereas "Cannery Row" or its sequel "Sweet THursday" are both quite funny and lovely...I love your idea of twelve books to make sure of success... stacking the deck is not a bad thing! Take care in the wind and Im sorry about having to go to a funeral. Be well, Z and the caniche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Zoe — Bears are readers of non-fiction or heavy comedy. The Winter of Our Discontent sounds like ideal reading for this time of year.

      I'll keep track of what I'm reading and will make a public report.

      Hope you have a lovely January! Blessings and Bear hugs to you and Skip.

      Delete
  9. Oh, one of my favorites - Don Quixote. "I know who I am, or whom I may be if I choose."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That very much sounds like Don Quixote, all right. Thanks donna!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  10. You are reading some good books. I have many classics that i love to re-read every so often.

    Exactly what you are telling us about the thawing and freezing has just happened here. Light fluffy snow on top of ice. I went for my 2 mile walk today and only fell once. My son said he walked 2 blocks and nearly fell 5 times, so I did pretty good. I went ass over tea kettle, (whatever that means) as my grandmother used to say if I fell. Take care.....Those little rubber cleat thingies that you slip over your shoes work well but I didn't know it was so slippery and didn't put them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like classics, too. Much fun altogether.

      As to the weather, it is most — well, as my doctor described it, it's "bipolar." Temperatures all over the place.Snow and blow, then blow without snow, then melt a bit, then more snow.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  11. I have Don Quixote and have always meant to read it. One day I will. But face it - you've got to be in the right mindset to pick up something that hefty! I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! susan at phantsy that says she read it to her son a bedtime. Sounds, interesting. Do you think Pierce would like it?

      BBh, Lisa!

      Delete
  12. Great job with the weight loss! Stay safe, friend. Your weather sounds scary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support, Dana. I suspect you're putting a bit on, but that will come off, soon enough.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  13. I used to collect the classics and have a nice library full of unread books, including Don Quixote. lol Actually, I've read a handful of them, with hopes of reading more when my children are less dependent on me.

    I do read other books, though. Being in a book club guarantees that I'll complete at least 1 book every 6 weeks. Most of the time, I can fit in another.

    Based on your update here, I'll enjoy reading your snippets about the books you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, to have a library full of classics! Sadly, I probably would have a place to put them!

      Happy reading!

      BBh, Anis!

      Delete
  14. Hey Bear, weather is weather. We can only watch and try to be safe.

    Sorry to hear about your friend.

    It is great to read about your reading adventure. Don't worry about it at all, and make sure you have a blast while you are at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having fun reading — inside, where it is warm.

      Best!

      Delete
  15. It is hard to lose weight and any loss is a great loss!! Good luck with your reading goals! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Kathy.

      the weight loss and reading goals are both coming along. I'll have more, in a bit.

      Blessings and Bear hugs.

      Delete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.