Sunday 27 December 2015

IN WHICH BEAR GOES HIBERNATING.

Yes, it is that time of year.


It's -20°C (which is fresh), but it feels like -29C (which is starting to get a bit cool, but nothing serious). It's not until about -60C that we start worrying about anything. As long as we've got bacon, maple syrup, and each other, well be just fine!

As I've said before (I think), there are three things you can do about that kind of weather.
1. You can leave.
2. You can die (which, I suppose, is another way to leave).
3. You can get accustomed to it. Which is what we decided to do a long time ago, so we're still here. Hard to believe we've been living in the west for 45 years. 


Normally, no self-respecting 
Bear would still be up at this time of year. Normally, a Bear would be "out of it" by now. But I have a very good reason for still being up.

The latest Star Wars movie (number VII) has arrived in time for Christmas season. Our son and his family, including the
kids, had decided we would all go to see it, together. (Well not all of us; J is not interested in the least, and daughter M really isn't drawn to this sort of move. They are such romantics.)
So, off we go into a new adventure, sometime after supper. We've already got our tickets, so we're set that way. And to get ready for the big event, we've watched adventures I to VI of Star Wars over the last three days. 

Who, us? Die-hard "Warriors"? What would make you think that?

So, movie tonight, followed by the start of hibernation. The world looks just so beautiful, thought it is a bit cloudy (as you can see from the pictures). But to tell you the truth, I'm really over-tired. So by time I'm into my den, I'll be gone in about two breaths. Hopefully, seeing you in the spring. (BTW, mother Fox left the place in excellent shape after she raised her Kits over the summer; I'll just move in and fall asleep.)

So many things have happened this year. Most of them bad. So I'll not review them. We changed government here in Canada; by spring, when I come out, we'll know if things have actually changed, or if we've simply gone from tweedle-dum to tweedle-dee. I have this feeling, you see, but I don't want to prejudice the potential events. 

I am happy to report that we're all doing well. Except for M, whose SUV was hit in the back end and crunched into a light pole at the front. Total write-off. And she wasn't finished paying for it. NOT a good way to end the year. It was parked by the curb in front of her house. It was about 3:30 a.m. a few days ago. By time she heard the noise, woke up, and figured out what had happened, she saw somebody running away. Anyhow, the police came, etc., etc. Clearly, not her fault.

We're a bit late getting to year end greetings, but Merry Christmas, Happy Hunakkh, Joyous Yuletide, Happy Kwanza, and a delightful New Year. Oh, and for Seinfeld fans, Happy Festivus. I think I've got things covered. If I've forgotten your celebration, I'm sorry, and I hope you enjoyed it. (At this time of year, my brain is pretty foggy, so I don't remember all the things I should. In fact, I don't remember much at all.) 

So, blessings and Bear hugs! See you in the spring.

Today's Weather Report

I'm reliably informed that it will be -14C this afternoon, and -13C overnight, with a chance of some flow snurries (to add to our whiteness). Tomorrow — is another day. 


27 comments:

  1. Enjoy the movie--& sweet dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Fishducky. I hope your 2016 is a grand time. I'll catch up with you in the spring.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  2. Bear, you will be SO disappointed in me ~ never saw any of the Star Wars films .. my son is at the movie theatre right now enjoying .. no doubt! Happy Sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No disappointment here; each of us has her or his own tastes. Frankly, I would be a bit surprised if you liked Star Wars sorts of stuff. It just seems so entirely "not you"!

      Blessings and Bear hugs for 2016, Helen.

      Delete
  3. Blessings and bear hugs to you also, Rob. I don't think that we in eastern PA will have to hibernate this winter. After two horrible years of too much snow and cold, El Niño has come to our rescue. Apple blossoms and roses are already blooming. Some people don't like it, but it suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are enjoying your winter. Ours is pretty good, actually. So far.

      Apple blossoms. in December may take a real beating in January. That would be my fear.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  4. Ahh Bear, it's up where you are that all the normal December chill is hiding out. Here in NYC it's still sweater weather, although might just change with the New Year.

    I smiled to think that you've postponed hibernation to see Star Wars. I've not seen any of those films, and will keep my record clean. However, I have recently seen a very good film, 45 Years, that I recommend highly.

    I also wish you a very Happy Christmas season and an excellent 2016. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is terrible about the hit and run. We went to see Star Wars this morning. Everyone liked it.
    We had not yet gotten out current dog when those pictures were taken, which is why he wasn't in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have a great long deep refreshing sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Furry Gnome. I hope so, too!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  7. We just had our first snow storm,but it wasn't as bad as forcasted. People here are excited about the Star Wars movie as well. Hoping you have a wonderful hibernation. Take care and do stay warm and comfie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to hear a few words about your events at your end. Here in the GTA of Ontario the cold seems to be waitinf for February and snow may fall ar Easter time since all is mixed up. I wonder how anything can properly hibernate. Our new PM has youth on his side. And he's an optomist. But he has a huge world to contend with. Enjoy your time away . See you in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you R-bear - and yes - Festivus for the Rest of Us!!! Sweet hibernating dreams xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have definitely earned your "sleep", for whatever time you need. The rest of us in temperate zones will be entertained by the follies of weather and men and rejoice as soon as the next election is over and we can all go back to having inane conversations again.
    I'll miss you here and there, mostly on Facebook. Come to think of it, with bloggers and Facebook we hardly have to go out of our den anytime soon.
    Enjoy the breaks when you can get them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always nice to know the Bear is still around, circling the planet with the rest of us. Have a great long sleep, and we'll see you when you awaken, filled to the brim with rest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh,ah. I LOVE Star Wars! Hope to see it next week.

    BRRRR - you guys are c-c-c-old up there. Enjoy your hibernation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Rob Bear. May you continue to enjoy the best of winter wherever you're most comfortable until spring returns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year! bet it's freezing there. Up to Utah tomorrow and I'm worries that's going to be cold

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm steering my life toward almost-hibernation - meaning, simple enough to make more choices concerning the events of my days. Is that possible? Thinking back - yes it is.
    I'm sleepy and confusing myself, so I must be confusing you, too.
    Goodnight... and I look forward to your upcoming posts whenever you're awake again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We went to SW when the lines were gone with about 20 people in the theater. Maybe we are still stuck in 1984, when it was fresh and original.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello dearest Bear. I expect you're still snoozing. Yet there are daffodils in my garden, most odd. Anyway I have resurrected my blog. I hope you awake refreshed. Ahh the old problem of leaving a comment under my blog name again! I am here...

    https://stillcheerful123.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, WOW! Is it ever great to hear from you!

      Delete
  18. Hello Bear,
    Are you still sleeping?
    I have resurrected! Wake up now, the daffodils are out. You'll miss lunch. Reasons XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it is a strange day — the kind of day that makes a Bear wake up, even in the winter. Even if hibernation isn't usually over for a few more months.

      We must catch up on what you have been doing. It's been so long!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  19. Goodness Bear I have had trouble again with Wordpress and just couldn't leave comments on so many blogs so I have moved again, back to Blogspot. Fingers crossed Bear. Snooze well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dropping by to check on you Mr Bear. I hope you are awakening to the beauty of spring, but if not there yet..soon! We have practically skipped winter for some off reason and expecting thunderstorms tomorrow. Boo Hiss!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.