Thursday 1 October 2015

MEANWHILE, . . .

your worst fears about Bear have not come true. I have not been shot and turned into a Bear rug. (I may be a bit rugged, but not that kind of rugged.) I have not been taken off to jail for what I've been writing on Facebook. (That's been a bit of a fear, with the new security law that our Conservative government has imposed on our nation. Even more "interesting" than the Patriot Act in the US.) 

However, I have been, um, well, busy.

1. We managed through the heat and tiredness of the summer. I'm finding that I get very tired many days. But now that I've turned 70, I'm not as young as I used to feel. So I was draggy over the summer.

2. There were a lot of forest fires in the early summer.  They were generally hundreds of miles away. But we felt the effect. The government moved hundreds, eventually thousands, of people into River City from threatened areas. And we were nearly smoked out of our homes.


Normally, we can look along 19th street (above) and see key downtown buildings. But not this day — when everything disappeared into a smoky grey cloud. It was so thick you could taste it this day. And I almost resorted to wearing a mask because the smoke was hard on my lungs. 

3. We were finding it harder and harder to keep up the house. J in particular, on the inside; me, on the outside. 

4. J was supposed to have additional surgery this summer. Doctors ran into trouble almost immediately, repaired the problem they created, and quit while they were ahead. (Or was it behind?) So, it may be close to Christmas when she has the planned surgery. 

5. We rented a suite in a condo to help J post-surgery. That was, of course, before the surgery — or non-surgery. Anyhow, it's really nice.

6. After considering numbers 3 and 4we decided to sell the house. I put it on Kijiji one day, and sold it the next. Yup, the next day! It was bought by a young couple with two small kids — mom had grown up in the area and knew the kind of house she wanted, and which streets and blocks would be best. She sold it to her husband and father; I didn't have to do much except encourage them to sign the forms from our lawyer. (Why bother with real estate fees when you and your lawyer can do the work?)

7. So good-bye to the house,



and hello to apartment living, right downtown,


among the trees. (It's actually a condo, but a number of the suites were bought as rental properties, and we got one of those. Normally the condo units sell for about half a million dollars; we are definitely not that rich!)

And that's enough for one report. I hope to be back within a week to share more interesting information with you. 

Blessing and Bear hugs, everyone! 


Today's Weather Report
It's very foggy outside, and 10°C (or 50F). Things are supposed to clear up, and hit 18C (about 65F) this afternoon. Tonight — about 8C with "variable cloudiness." Definitely fall weather. "Winter is coming," as they say on the Game of Thrones.

32 comments:

  1. Glad you're not a rug and doing well!! Welcome back!

    Hugs!

    Valerie
    http://www.flyingplatypi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and saying "Hi." lIt's nice to make new friends, and to see old ones too.

      Delete
  2. You spoke to us, ages 65 and 63. So much to do in the house, to the house. We are setting next summer as our move time; my husband will retire then.
    Hope J is doing well. Good to see your name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Susan.

      Moving is not for the faint of heart as one ages. At 70, I don't seem to have nearly as much energy as I had previously. And moving does bring that point home.

      I hope your home repairs and moving go well for both of you.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  3. That's exciting--good luck with the move!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, fishducky. It's good to be back! I do hope to be back more often than every the months.

      Delete
  4. That's terrible about the nonsurgery. Sheesh!
    Congrats on your new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa.

      We still don't know when the planned surgery will happen, but we expect around Christmas. Not a great time to be laid up. however, we will manage, and being in this apartment will be a real help.

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you back. I hope that you will be happy in your new home and that J will do well in the surgery yet to come. Those big forest fires were so awful, so many people and animals displaced. It is hard to imagine it. Do take care and I am looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Bonnie; great to hear from you.

      I really feel like I have been away from a lot of folks for a long time. I'll try not to let that happen again. I't's good to be back.

      Delete
  6. How nice it is to see you back on blogger, Bear. It is good to know that you are doing well and have relocated to a new, less troubling cave. My best to your wife as she goes through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and words.

      Delete
  7. As always, it's so great to hear from you, Bear! And I too am glad to know you're hale and hearty, for an old Bear, that is. I turn 73 soon and can definitely relate to not having as much stamina as I once did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Bear, lots has been going on in your territory, even a change in your territory. (I've also just turned 70, but refuse to believe it's happened.)

    Hoping that J will find better medical treatments and recover easily.

    There must be some good views from that condo? I know what you mean about real estate prices. Glad that your sale of your house went smoothly.

    Fire, smoke, hurricanes, nutty politics all around the world. It's a good time to accent the positive in our own lives and try to spread that vibe around.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Frances, lots of interesting changes.

      Before I forget, belated Happy Birthday. Silly old Bear that I am, I keep forgetting important dates. And relax; you're only a few days over 69 — nothing about which one should be excited.

      I have quite a few pictures from around our new home. I'll be sharing them in coming posts. We're surrounded by trees. The only thing between us and the river is a public park (something like you being so close to Central Park).

      Politically, it is the silly season in Canada; less than three weeks until our federal election. The Conservatives (for whom I have totally lost respect) are likely to get re-elected. But the difference among the three main parties is within the margin of error on the polls; it is a real dog's breakfast.

      As for being positive, you remind me of an exchange between our famous comedians (now both dead, sadly), John Wayne and Frank Shuster.

      John: Only fools are positive.
      Frank: Are you sure?
      John: I'm positive!

      Blessings and Bear hugs, Frances!

      Delete
  9. Hi-ya. You asked in a comment on my blog if we were the same age. After seeing this post, I can say you've got me by a couple of years. I was born in '48.

    You have more courage than I do. The thought of moving out of this house, where we've been living and accumulating stuff since '71, is enough to convince me to stay. Just moving the stuff out of my husband's garages and various shops would be a nightmare. So we'll stay put, and let our kids deal with it all after we're gone. (I wouldn't blame them if they burned it all down...)

    Good luck in your new place, and good luck with your wife's surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're not much younger than me, Susan. We belong to the same era, though I'm not a boomer.

      Condolences on your housing situation. I don't now how many times we have moved (work related). We both plan to stay here until we are carried out (one way or another).

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  10. well, hello bear. so you've moved into simplified living. good for you!
    i hope all is well in your family and your weather and your re-entry into blogland. nice to see you back.

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand you've also moved to Provincetown (finally). I hope you won't get blown away by the next big storm.

      Delete
  11. Oh my. You've certainly had a roaring good time this summer. Ha! Glad to hear you're not the cat's favorite sleeping mat.

    Take care and enjoy your new digs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cats sleeping on my skin. Besides, J lis allergic to cats; that's why we have gone to the dogs.
      Wait! That last bit doesn't sound right.

      Delete
  12. Gosh Bear, so much news! I'm sorry for the fires and your 'draggy' feeling and delayed medical treatment.
    I really hope you are happy in your new home.
    Best wishes to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life has ben a "moving" experience lately. Fortunately we are just about settled, and enjoying our new home — just in time or hibernation.

      Delete
  13. I hope all is good! Have fun in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your year sounds similar to mine (life changes)! Still, you managed to post more than me!

    I hope that both of us can settle into our changed lives (mine.. not so much) and have more time and energy to give attention to our beloved blogs and blog friends.

    Here's to peace, good health, and a comfy home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are, indeed, getting very comfy in out new "cave," or drawer in this human filing cabinet. A lot less work, great downtown location, still close to our kids and grandkids.

      Please let me know about all your changes; I do hope they have been good ones.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  15. Sounds like your move was reasonably painless. I'm sure your house was more to your taste than a condo; but there comes a time.....

    Best wishes to you both, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The house. It wasn't all that tasty. It was a lot of work. The new place is much better; it is a lot less work, and it is ideally located.

    Blessings and Bear hugs, Cro!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you have been busy-good luck in your new abode, and congrats on a smooth move. That's kinda rare, ya know! Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow.. Lots has happened. Youve been so good at keeping in contact ...thank you. I hope all goes well with surgery and while moving is a huge undertaking it sounds like s relief as well... Thinking of you Ivy and Doug

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rob-Bear
    Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and blessed New Year!
    I hope you are enjoying the new place

    Margie :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.