Sunday 26 April 2015

WHOA! WAIT!

We are in the season called "Spring." I checked the calendar to make sure. Today is the 26th of April, which is definitely after the 21st. Of March.

But we Bears don't need calendars to know what time of year it is. Usually. 

But yesterday wasn't "usually."



Yup. It snowed!


It showed yesterday, and even overnight. This morning, when I ventured out of the house, it was pretty tough slogging. And messy.

Sigh!












Adding to yesterday's excitement, an old friend came to be a house guest.


Yes, that's Wally. 

For those of you who don't know Wally, he is our daughter-in-law's dog. If A has to work late at the university, I get to take him for a walk, somewhere around supper time. (Our son's family is only two blocks from our place, so walking Wally is no big deal.) Since he and I are already good friends, why shouldn't Wally come and stay with me?

You see, A is going to be away for a while at meetings, in a nice place. So she is taking her whole family along. And J (my wife) is going, too! 

Since a trip to a "far country" would require much more energy that I have, I get to stay home with Wally. And look after two houses. But don't worry about me. I can still split my own fire wood and shovel (at least part of) our sidewalks. (Yes, we did light a fire yesterday, when the electricity was off because of the storm.)

Anyhow, Wally does one of several predictable things. He follows me around the house when I'm moving. He'll rest on the floor of my study while I'm working there — sometimes. Or he rests in his kennel.


Or he sleeps in his kennel.













Or he sleeps on the kitchen floor when I'm eating.

From all that sleeping and resting, you'd think he is a really laid-back dog. And generally he is. However, when I take him for a walk, sometimes Wally sees a cat (or something like that). For Wally, who is a sighthound, cat = prey, and he wants to chase it. In the process, he can drag me all over the place if I'm not careful. He is fast and he is very strong. He would think nothing of chasing and killing a Fox or a Coyote. All in a day's life for a sighthound. For me, not so much. In fact, not at all.

Anyhow, for the next week and a half Wally and I will be sharing this house. And I'm sure we will get along just fine. Unless he decides to chase one of the birds in our back yard. That is just not on! It will bring out the Bear in me! And that will be another matter, entirely, because Wally isn't built to handle Bears.

So, in the meantime, friends, blessings and Bear hugs. As always!


Today's Weather Report


It's 2°C and overcast right now. It is supposed to be -4C overnight with a light wind. Tomorrow's anticipated high is  12C — enough to melt most of the remaining snow. Tuesday's expected high is 17; Wednesday's, 23, with a 10% chance of rain. All this white stuff was just an atmospheric "blip." But I hope the storm didn't kill too many calves — spring storms have a nasty habit of doing that. 

18 comments:

  1. say it ain't "snow "bear:) Wally is a blessing to you I do believe.Do not go back to hibernate soon it will be warm everyday. Bear hugs B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Buttons: 'snow doubt that it's snow alright. But that isn't going to send me back to hibernation, any more than it's going to send our Robins back south. (They've been busy cleaning off our fruit trees.)
      And aside from the fact that Wally got me up at 5:30 this morning, he and I are still friends. For now. His life is based on "sun time"; mine is on "clock time." (I've become so Humanized that way!) I'm sure we will work things out.
      Blessings and Bear hus to you, your girls, and their kids — I mean calves.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, not snow again! The good thing is that it should melt quickly and possibly no shoveling will be involved.

    It sounds like you will be enjoying your visitor. Have fun and I hope Wally behaves himself during your walks together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately or unfortunately, more snow. Actually there were grassfire warnings in some places before this. Yes, a bit early for fire warnings. I think those will have ended by now.
      Wally got me up at 5:30 this morning. a kind of low-level "gggrrrr" situation. I'll be OK. So will Wally.
      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  3. Yah, we had a bit of snow last week that stayed for 3 days. Back to brown now. Our dog is just a nose hound - nothing but a nose on 4 legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, Furry Gnome. Always interesting to have someone else join in the fun!
      I think three days of snow is about what we will have here. Maybe four. At least I'm hoping.
      "A nose on 4 legs" you say. I think I can visualize that.
      Blessing and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  4. When I'm whinging about the rain, I forget that some people have to put up with snow for many more months in the year.
    Yet here in the Loire we had almost summer temperatures last week while my brother was staying for a short holiday. He's been very ill, so he deserved a nice holiday and good weather.
    Wally looks like a great companion. I hope your weather improves soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you've been having some summery weather. And I do hope you brother is doing much better.
      Blessings and Bear hugs, Jean! Wally says "Hi" to Lulu, as do I.

      Delete
  5. Rob, perhaps if the chilly weather continues, you and Wally should just form a heat-seeking team and head south?

    Spring is doing a very zig-zaggy routine here in NYC. This afternoon's forecast included the potential for rain and even sleet. Did not happen. Yes, very strong winds yielded brilliant sunlight and blue sky with some little puffs of clouds around 5 pm. Go figure.

    I am still keeping my down coat handy, but think that its season might just be at an end. After all, tulips are in bloom.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The two of you are sure to be good company for one another.. both handsome members of your species :)

    If it's any consolation Spring is late arriving in these parts too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Spring! We didn't get snow this time, it came earlier last week. But we did get a lot of welcome rain this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We didn't even get a snowflake around our parts this past winter. And now it looks like we'll have a pretty warm summer. Blessings and Bear hugs back to you, Bear! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang! This southern girls shivers reading your blog.

    Wally is a cutie. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you are still dealing with snow ;(( so sorry R-bear. Wally is precious and looks like a loving companion for the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pardon the pun, but the weather just doesn't bear thinking about! Ouch! We're having it "rough" here, the sea earlier to-day was so choppy it looked like a coating of snow on it, and the distant mountains on the horizon have white caps. April my eye! 'tis more like January! Wally is gorgeous and I am glad you have such good company. Take care of yourself and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WALLY! He is beautiful! Good thing he doesn't chase bears like the dougster! We had our last (I hope ) snow that day as well... We saw green , ACTUAL GREEN!, today and it wasnt in the refrigerator! Im talking outside!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeez, Rob, I would just have to shoot myself. I don't like snow anyway, but to have it on the ground this late would send me over the edge.

    Cute dog. I love dogs. After having dogs my whole life, all I have now is a cat, and I love him too, but as my cat loving sister-in-law warned us when we got Brewsky, a cat is definitely not a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well you have not been back since dog sitting and house sitting. Hope all's okay???

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.