Sunday 21 August 2011

LIFE WITHOUT TELEVSION?

I don't know if I'm getting sillier as I age, but I've really come to almost to loathe television.

We get it here, I think, mainly because of programs which would be of interest to our grandchildren. Or so we tell ourselves. They don't have television at home. It does teach them, and us, some new things.

But really.

Back in January, Maria (at cats, crafts and penguins) turned a delightful phrase, describing television as "endless commercials interrupted by bad shows." My heart instinctively said, "Yes!"

The thing about television is that it's a one way communication. Unless you yell at it when someone says something stupid. Which means Bear is yelling at the television quite frequently, when he watches it. I don't consider that to be a useful form of communication. Yelling at the tv makes as much impact on the whole television businesses as ants make on dry concrete. And writing to broadcasters only invokes a stale, tired, meaningless "thank you for your comments" letter. To which one is inclined to say, "Bah! Humbug!"

Aside from a few cooking shows which my beloved J sometimes watches, sometimes the weather channel, and occasionally the news, we hardly watch the tv. I mean, what is worth watching? Except when one is too tired to read, but not quite ready for bed. (In which case, almost anything is watchable, unless it produces nightmares after the fact.)

I'm a firm believer in the potential of the medium. Particularly to educate us, to bring us things that challenge our thinking or encourage our values. It brings one "up close and personal" when there is some breaking news. Or a Royal Wedding. Or a state funeral. But even those things tend to be overdone, sometimes. Though they are about the only true "reality tv," more or less

So, some questions.
• How much do you watch tv?
• What kinds of things do you watch?
• Are you satisfied with the quality of the programming you receive?

15 comments:

  1. I like tv for mindless entertainment. I do watch the news and other documentarys. I prefer watching movies though. Mostly, listen to the radio. Really, loathe reality televison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got totally disgusted with TV and it has been sitting in its box in the hall closet for about two months now. I don't miss it. What is interesting is occasionally I go over to the club house to watch something like 60 minutes and then when I get back home everything seems so quiet and it takes me a few minutes to adjust. Before I go to watch a program I don't notice the quiet, and I'm beginning to think the chitter chatter of my mind creates its own sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ® Kristy: I understand that. One can have too much "reality" (and I don't mean reality tv.) A certain degree of mindlessness can be good. Likewise news, documentary (long news), and movies. Thanks.

    ® Linda: What an insightful observation: "the chitter chatter of my mind creates its own sound." A sound which probably grows with the amount of idle chitter chatter one puts into it, or allows into it. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Television in Florida is a lot different from television in the midwest. Joe keeps the weather channel on ALL DAY and I eventually mute it or turn it off.

    Without the background noise, our ears (for some reason) make a noise that are annoying. Other than that, HISTORY channel at night and NO NEWS.

    News only reports BAD things. If there was a GOOD NEWS channel, we'd be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree r-bear — much of tv is endless commercials interrupted by bad tv shows.

    i read a book i liked called the goddess and the alphabet by leonard schlain - he believes that tv is actually the eye of the divine feminine coming into the world, and is perceived either positively or negatively by different cultures depending on their thoughtforms... interesting theory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that TV here in the UK is a bit different to TV in Canada/US. The BBC channels do not have advertising and it those channels that we watch in the main, although we do not watch much TV. I try to watch the news every day and dramas and documentaries when I have the time. I have never been a fan of soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. Let's see. I watch very little tv. I read, I write, I photograph.

    I do like the Kardashians (just go ahead and shoot me). And I like Auction Hunters and shows like that. I like the "move that bus" show where Ty gives them a new house.

    And every once in a while I'll watch a movie with ThatManILove.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha..... I had to stop over from Manzanitas blog, Wanna Buy A Duck. Your comment struck my funny bone.

    I don't watch a lot of TV... there is nothing on. In the evening after I have my nightly bath ritual, I do relax and watch about 2 hours of TV. I must confess, I am hooked on a few of the reality TV Shows, although, I am the first to call them DUMB!! I have no idea why I watch them. I guess I can't find anything else worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ® Beau's Mom: The Weather Channel is fantastic! Can't think of a more fascinating channel to watch. Except maybe the food channel.
    The History Channel? Believe it or not, that's yesterdays news. Maybe news is better after ageing a bit.

    ® amanda: If television is the eye of the divine feminine, She's got a lot to answer for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ® Janie Girl: I hope you're not selling tv ads.

    ® My Journey with Candida: Welcome; thanks for coming by. Always wonderful to have a new visitor.
    I can certainly appreciate your thought about there not being much worth watching. I feel so sad about tv most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ® Cheshire Wife: Sorry I missed you in there.
    News and documentaries are some of the better things on the television. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get so irritated with commercials (I know, I know...w/o them, the programs wouldn't make it...sigh)...but I constantly change channels when a commercial comes on. What do I find? Commercials. Drat!! I think they are all planned at the same time!)
    I watch the History Channel, Food Networks, and I like some reality programs (Ice Road Truckers, Deadliest Catch.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ® Teacher's Pet: Commercials are NOT the most delightful thing on television. If I were to watch regularly, it would be news and documentaries, food, and history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Television? What's that?! Sorry, sounding a smug there - but I haven't got one and don't miss it at all - I only ever had one when my sone was at school so he wouldn't miss out on conversations... I can't bear to pay the license fee when more often than not I want to throw things at the screen!

    Of course I do watch programmes on iPlayer/watch again on the 'net etc if someone recommends something

    When I did have a telly I found I ended up watching the least awful stuff, rather than just switching it off!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I don't have TV....well, we have one with a DVD player in it and that's all it's ever been used for. We don't pay for any TV service. I like the quiet and the choice to choose what goes into my brain. Nice to find your blog here!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.