Friday 8 May 2009

IF SWINE DROVE, IT WOULD BE WORSE THAN IF SWINE 'FLU

Last year in the United States, about 37,300 people died in traffic accidents.

So far this year, two people in the US have died of current variety of H1N1 influenza.

So, how many people have stopped driving because of all those traffic deaths? Hands up please.

That 37,300 is a drop of about 9% from the year before. The decrease is largely attributed to the fact that people are using their seat belts more. Or, simply, more people are taking reasonable precautions when driving.

In 'flu time, reasonable precautions mean washing your hands frequently, and using disposable tissues for blowing your nose, etc.

Which is why this ol' Bear is going about life as usual. But being just a bit more careful, especially washing my paws when I come in from shopping (or whatever).

5 comments:

  1. Let's see. 3000 people died on September 11, 2001 in the attacks on the World Trade Centre. 4000 people died in car accidents that same month and every month before and since. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do hate the way the media has to "scare," people. I wonder what would happen if they compared facts the way you did above? Thanks for putting things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BF: Wow! you've done math. Actually, it's about 3,000 a month, but you're close; at least, close enough to get the picture.

    Gutsy Sonia: I'm not sure the media are trying to scare us; they're just not putting the information in its proper context. So we're not getting the whole story. For the whole story, we need BLOGGERS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a good point here Mr Bear! From the sounds of it, it was the usual media hype that has taken it out of control.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.