Wednesday 5 November 2014

GREY SKIES FROWNING AT ME, WHILE I TRY TO SMILE

We have had quite a bit of rain recently. Even a bit of snow, (but that doesn't count, because it didn't stay for at least 12 hours). 

What that means is we have had a lot of grey, cloudy days. November kinds of days. 

"GRRRrrr" is the appropriate response to all that.   

It's close to hibernating weather, but not quite. Not cold enough. So I'm dragging myself around; not quite hibernating, not quite awake.

I was over at Fishduckys blog earlier today. She was quoting Mark Twain, and a number of Twain's thoughts seemed appropriate for the day after a mid-term election.


"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress But I repeat myself."

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."

And:

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."  

That last one is particularly true. If you have enough money to saturate an area with television advertising, you can get people to believe that lies are the truth, and that the truth is a pack of lies. You can convince people to vote against their best interests, and support the very different interests of others. (It's called "The Big Lie" process.) Reporter Andy Borowitz, in The New York Times, says, that since the Citizens United case has been upheld by the US Supreme Court, it costs about four billion dollars to buy a member of congress. Yup; four billion. All, I assume, for election expenses. (It's hard to recall that Borowitz is actually writing satire; he seems so realistic and truthful.)

We, in Canada, are going to have a Federal (national) Election in a bit less than a year. The Conservatives are in power. To understand Canadian Conservatives you need to realize that they are just a bit more conservative than the Kock brothers "Tea Party."  (Meaning they are more like Fascists.) They take most of their strategy from the US Republican play book. They are far more conservative than most Canadians (except for Christian fundamentalists, some of whom form the party's base of support). A court has found that the Conservatives clearly engaged in electoral fraud, in order to win the last Federal Election. Many people expect the Conservatives will do the same again in this upcoming election. For the record, the Conservatives normal response is to thumb their noses at the courts. Sigh!

Oh. Wait! It looks like there is some sun breaking through the clouds. This could be a nice day, after all. 

Now, if I could just find Miss Sadie!

Blessings and Bear hugs, folks!


Today's Weather Report
Mainly sunny, with a temperature of 4C (or a balmy 40°F). Overnight, it will feel like about -9C (a fresh 16F). Remember to wear your socks and mittens to bed, and have something to cover your head. 

28 comments:

  1. Here's hoping you have more sunny skies than grey. It's been cool here too.. and our snow did last more than 24 hours. So you're ahead of us in that department. Stay cozy, Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had snow and -20C over the past two days (my most recent blog post is about that). I think winter is here, so I'll go hibernate. Maybe tomorrow.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  2. I must be weird because I love overcast, cloudy, rainy, windy cold days. I look forward to them all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I like those kinds of days, too, Mary. I've have just too much of that all at one time, particularly with Miss Sadie gone.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  3. Oh Bear do not rile yourself up the sun is going to come out you are going to ignore the news and newspapers and go outside and see what the world has to offer. After all a bear going into hibernation should have good thoughts so as to have sweet dreams. Lose the coverage bear:) it works. Give it a try. Bear hugs B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the condition that I could happily hibernate. Go away and leave the world behind, sort of.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, Grace!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Bear, it's so nice to hear from you again. I always look forward to your comments on my blog, and now even a post from you peeking out from your den. I am sending you big sloppy kisses, just like a friendly lab. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kisses. They will give me something delightful about which to dream.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, DJan!

      Delete
  5. Those are very good quotes, Bear. I am so glad this election is over, I am not happy with the results, but money talks and we can't do anything about it. I will just live my little life, do the best I can do, and ignore those bastards. They are not there for us, they are there for themselves and their billionaire sponsors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sadly correct, Arleen. But instead of forgetting about the "bastards," I need a good rest, so that I'm fit to take them on.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  6. Politics & politicians in ANY country can be frightening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Especially in Canada.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, fishducky!

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I think it is nearly impossible for any decent person who wishes to go into politics to get past that big lie. Money buys votes because we are so addicted to the media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed the predicament, Amanda. And I don't think even Persephone could help. In fact, I suspect she would be too frightened to try. Anyhow, you have defined the situation well.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  8. I've just begun to read a book called "Opening Skinner's Box" that is about psychological experiments. Your paragraph about money, politicians, and advertising.. oh, and the constituents, too, would fit nicely in it.

    Watching a couple of opposing news shows in Canada would probably be quite an education for me.

    On another note, "When are you moving to Florida?!!!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frightening the way we can be "conditioned," isn't it? I've been reading a book called The Power of Habit. Fascinating. And scary.

      News shows in Canada tend to be the bland following the bland. With a few Fox News moments. The best stories come from alternate media sources. Who report on the things the mainstream media wouldn't touch.

      Moving to Florida is not in the best interests of a Brown Bear. There are a few Blacks (urus americanus) in north Florida, in the panhandle, and in the south-west. How they survive in all that heat is a major puzzle to me. Unlike many voters, who vote against their own best interests, I'm staying here, thanks.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, Anita!

      Delete
  9. Now that our election in the U.S. is over, it seems appropriate to share that 2/3 of American voters exercised their right to vote by not voting at all. Does that tell you what most of us think about the political ads on television? If we were to believe any of them, there isn't a single politician worth voting for...unless of course, that's actually the truth, and there isn't. Hmmm, maybe the 2/3 majority are onto something after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, M.J., I understand. About 40 per cent of Canadians skipped the last Federal election in Canada. They did what the attack ads were designed to do. They gave up on the political process. If that many give up voting, there are serious problems. Whether in Canada or the US.

      Blssings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  10. We here in the good old U S of A are in deep trouble, politically speaking. Time for me to hibernate too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that hibernation isn't much of a solution. Sometimes it feels like escapism. More like time to stand up on your back legs, and growl. Or write a poem about it. Or several poems.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, Helen!

      Delete
  11. So relieved the election is over. It was mind-numbing, no matter who would win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sure feel what you are saying. I think a lot of folk say the same.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, Susan! Best regards to the cat.

      Delete
  12. I would love to know more about Canadian politics. I have a dear friend in Kamloops and her photos and tales are of clean-cut and kind people. SO unlike the USA. Even if Sadie had a chip, a person stealing her would not use it for her benefit. It would make so much more sense if chips acted like a GPS and would track the pet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow,
      With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go"
      ~ the late Stan Rogers, Canadian musician

      Our Prime Minister is one of those "smiling bastards." Far worse than Obama; about on par with Romney. It's an uphill fight to decency here these days. And I don't know who to support. I'm glad I still have a year to decide.

      Sadie wasn't microchipped, so it's a moot point.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, lottta!

      Delete
  13. Hi Bear! I say “GRRRitt” to all those grey, cloudy skies too. I am a fan of Mark Twain and those are excellent quotes. You are so right about “The Big Lie” process. I saw the evidence of that very clearly in the mid-term elections we just had down here in the States.

    I had no idea that Canadian Conservatives were to the right of the Tea Party. The influence of the Conservative Tea Party in our Congress and elections here has been nothing short of a disaster. They cause chaos and gridlock. Earlier this year, they shut the government down for no good reason! It affected services for many Americans and my husband was out of work for a while because of it. Their agenda is the opposite of progress. Since many more of them just got elected after bombarding the airwaves with ads that disguised their real agenda, I see many grey if not altogether gloomily skies ahead here. Big sigh! I hope things fare better up there in Canada when you have your Federal election. Hope the sun keeps breaking through those clouds. Big Bear Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Cheer up, things could be worse" is a wonderful idea. I tried that, once, when I was feeling dismal. Things, of course, got worse.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, Lil, as you live with your new Congress. And by all means, growl like a Bear if you feel perturbed.

      Delete
  14. Elections make me grumpy. I wish they would stop allowing all advertising, and people could just do their own research to make educated votes.
    The weather is chilly here (for us - around 40*) and blustery, but the skies are blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that, Lisa. In our last federal election, 39 per cent of eligible Canadians didn't vote, for a variety of reasons. Including some fraud, for which Conservative have been convicted. But I'm repeating myself.

      Blessings and Bear hugs to all, Lisa!

      Delete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.