Friday 19 May 2017

IN WHICH BEAR WAKES UP BUT ISN'T SURE WHERE HE IS

Hmmmmm. This place looks somewhat familiar. Sniff, sniff, sniff. Sells familiar too. (Sorry; but I need to check things with my nose. Bears eyes are not very good; we do much better at finding things with our noses than with our eyes.)

This is my blog, I think. I knew it was around here somewhere. But, oh my; it's been almost a year since I did anything here. And that's not for lack of noteworthy events. Actually, a lot of things have happened. I just haven't shared them with you. I'm sorry about that, but my get up and go got up and went, and I was left behind, and it's been just awful.

A lot of things are very different here. It's like somebody has trashed my den. But I've just come out of my den. Nothing here makes much sense anymore. I . . . well, um, yes. This is a mess.

Let me try to sort things out, and bring you up to speed.

Where to begin?


1. Moved, again (why not)? 

Well, the Bears have shifted den, again. (Oooh — that rhymes.)

We had this nice condominium suite we were renting in downtown River City. It was really nice. Until it turned out to be not so nice. Life in the trees was grand — there, beside the river, alongside the parks. Close to downtown shopping.


But the floor under us has one of the hotel's party rooms, and people were allowed to party there until 1:00 a.m., whenever they were partying. And party hard some people did. Many people, even. 


I don't know about you, but I don't sleep that well with a party that close. And J hardly sleeps at all. And the hotel was making good money off the partiers, so it wasn't the least bit concerned about our worries. 


Enough of that. We moved. To the New Town part of the city, across the river. This was one of the three communities which came together just over a century ago to form River City. Nice, tree-lined streets with big mid-street boulevards. And ancient Elm trees. (The city is working hard to keep them from all dying.)


We hunted and looked, and finally found a place that we thought we would like. We phoned to have a viewing. And who showed up? One of J's cousins, who just happened to be working for a property agent. Talk about a small world! (We've both met him here in River City several times. I stayed with his mom when I first moved to River City, before J and the kids came here and we got to move into our home.)



This condo we are renting from a doctor who is studying out of the country for an uncertain length of time. 


Ironically, we used to live in this part of River City, just two blocks down the street. (That's another long, sad story for yet another day.) But we know the neighourhood, and it is a great place to live.

2. Challenges Abound

But as you know, when we do things we have a habit of making them complicated. Or at least I make things complicated. And so it was, on the last night of moving, I rolled over in bed and felt this sharp pain in my hip. I also found it almost impossible to walk because the pain was so bad. 

I got to the doctor and had some x-rays done, and fond I had dislocated my hip. It was still generally close to my pelvic bone, but it did not fit into the "cup" (the acetabulum) where it was supposed to sit. He called it "Hip dysplasia," the same problems that lots of dogs have. Have I gone to the dogs? (I'm not going there!)

Fast forward nine months. I have had my second consult with my surgeon. He says the situation is definitely worse than when he saw me in the autumn (I think October). The solution: give me a new hip, made of titanium. So I'm scheduled for a hip replacement, though the backlog is so long, it could take 12 months to get in. (Meanwhile, the government has just cut back on money to medicare, so the delay could be . . . we won't think about that.)

But in the meantime, I am taking increasingly large doses of a narcotic medication. (Yes, I know, there's a great hullabaloo about narcotic medications, and how many people are dying from them, etc.) Fortunately, I have studied this stuff in detail when I as working on my second Master's Degree. Anyhow, I know what I'm doing when I take this stuff. Still, having those pills around is like having a loaded gun on top of my dresser — makes me feel uncomfortable. And I use the drugs very carefully — making sure I don't take too much.

BTW, this is a lot more medication than I took when I was having trouble with my back. I don't feel that at all, now.

There are a couple of other things on the downside of the medications.

a) I feel very tired, and I want to sleep a lot of the time. There are lots of days when I cannot really function until about noon, even wen I've gone to bed early the night before.

b) I have increased problems getting my brain to function. I cannot remember the names of friends, sometimes. I find it almost impossible to keep track of what I am doing, or what J and I are doing. I have to make lots of notes, but sometimes that is still not enough to keep me straight. And try to figure out problems? I might as well forget that on lots of days.

Anyhow, enough of that.

In fact, I'll quit there. I have lots more news, but I'm getting very tired. (I did mention the drugs wear me out and leave me feeling tired much of the time.) I'll write in the next couple of days — or sooner, or later. I expect/hope to be writing more frequently. Much more frequently.

Blessings and Bear hugs!


Today's Weather Report

At 1:00 a.m. Friday, the temperature is 7°C, on its way up to 17°C this afternoon. (It's 45°F going to 63F.) It is supposed to be sunny all day; I'll look forward to that.

31 comments:

  1. I hope this move is good for you. At least you won't have to deal with party people anymore. I am sorry to here about your medical problems. Many of my friends (who at another time were athletes) are now getting new body parts (knees and hips). I am thinking that few of us get through life without getting something replaced.

    Take care, Bear and be careful of what the doctor prescribes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! (Help; you nome is gone — Arlene, Arlone?? Oh dear; I'm so embarrassed!!)

      You're right, many of us turn into a collection of spare parts — enough titanium do build a space ship (almost). And yes, I'll be careful about what I take from the doc.

      Delete
  2. It sure is nice to know you're back, Bear, even if it is only "sort of" back. I use tincture of CBD/THC for my pain issues, which is legal in Washington State and is incredibly effective. I take a dropperful of it just before bed and sleep pain free. I don't use it during the day, though, because if I have to drive somewhere, I don't want to be under the influence. If it's legal in River City, it's worth a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wisdom, DJan. I think it is available, medically, but I've never asked. I think my doctor would look askance if I made a request. In a year or so mj will be legally available on/near the street. I think I'll wait until then.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! I'm so glad for an update from you but not so happy about that hip. Yee-ouch! I hope you get your new parts, soon. Hee. Now you're a car.

    Three cheers for the new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Reffie; I'm a Bear, not a car. I don't have headlights, tires, or a horn. Even if I horn in on conversations, sometimes.

      I hope you can keep Evil Twin under control. And the cats from destroying your place. Happy summer!

      Delete
  4. R-bear!!! I've missed you and was thinking about you recently…so good to see you back in blogland!! I'm not blogging much myself any more, so completely sympathize with your absence.

    I'm so sorry to hear about the hip replacement - ugh. Cannot be fun, but if it mitigates the pain then that will be a blessing. And yes, sleeping next to a party room is not ideal - glad you have found a new and more appealing den.

    Welcome back and as always so lovely to visit your neck of the woods! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, North American Greek Goddess!

      Funny, I was thinking recently about the Airedale with the Greek name, God rest her soul! Speaking of which, are you heading back to Ithaca again this summer? Will you be able to survive the summer if you don't?

      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about your hip, but it's nice to hear from you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie. I know; it's isn't hip to have a hip like this. Well, it should be better in a year, or so.

      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. So glad you finally woke up, although I'm sorry you're in such bad shape!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be awake and back in the blogsphere, fishducky. I trust you have a grand summer!

      Delete
  7. Glad you made it out of that long hibernation! Hope the hip works out ok eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to be back, my furry friend! I', sure I'll survive until I get a new hip. After that, who knows what terror I'll be causing!

      Delete
  8. Good to see your name again. Enjoy your new den, hopefully.Pain meds can cause all symptoms you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. Yeah, pain meds bring their own set of problems, most of which I have been able to avoid or control. New den is a great place to rest until hip surgery, and after.

      Hope you and cat stay well.

      Delete
  9. I have lots of oxycodone, and it has the side effect of making me the nicest person on earth. Talk about miracles. I'd take it even if I wasn't in pain so, knowing that, I only take ONE pill when the pain gets me to the point of actually screaming. I'm supposed to take two every four hours, but I take it twice a week after physical therapy. So, I'm nice twice a week. The rest of the time, I'm like living with an enraged bear. Yes. Enraged. I just don't need to be in the ally in the middle of the night hoping to find an honest drug dealer. With my luck, it would be an undercover narc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're acting like an enraged Bear. I'm going to leave until your meds kick in and you become your sweet, adorable self.

      Bye til then!

      Delete
  10. Now that sounds like a good reason to move. I couldn't have handled living above a bunch of partiers.

    So sorry about the hip. I hope you are able to get it replaced speedily and don't end up having to wait a full year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I trust I will be OK until "the time comes." Also hope your cubs are well and happy, along with you and the rest of your critters.

      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Greetings to you in election country! Have they sorted out who won?

    I'd love to see you blogging again, from your field of Tulips. I find blogging is fairly easy and not too much trouble. And folks will be glad to see you, too.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Bear ~ I am here not only to catch up on all this news, but to see if you have also received a confusing message on your blog from Blogger about new cookie rules pertaining to the EU. I do NOT see the notice they said they put on my blog as a "courtesy" and am in a bit of a panic. Here is the text of the message:
    "European Union laws require you to give European Union visitors information about cookies used on your blog. In many cases, these laws also require you to obtain consent.

    As a courtesy, we have added a notice on your blog to explain Google's use of certain Blogger and Google cookies, including use of Google Analytics and AdSense cookies.

    You are responsible for confirming this notice actually works for your blog, and that it displays. If you employ other cookies, for example by adding third party features, this notice may not work for you. Learn more about this notice and your responsibilities."

    Do not stress if you cannot offer insight. I'm going to ask a few other blog friends too.
    Your move sounds as if it was both necessary and an improvement! I hope you will be happy there for some time to come. Because with hip surgery coming up in the year you sure don't need to be moving again after that happens! I'm sorry you have to wait so long because the meds sound intense. I am thinking of you, wishing healthy thoughts to you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I'm a Bear, I tend not to pay much attention to Human rules. I would urge you to do the same. A for those Europeans, I have trouble understanding them at the best of times. :'(
      The move (now almost completed) is good. We have only a little bit less space; overall, the place is quite cozy. The two bedrooms are not as close as they were in the other place, hence we have even less chance of disturbing each other as we did in our former cave.
      I recall some sad and challenging things happening in your life; I DO HOPE YOU'RE MANAGING THINGS WELL.
      Blessings and Bear hugs. Lots of hugs; lot of blessings!

      Delete
  13. Dear Rob,
    I have been lax in reading posts - or writing them for that matter. Like you as world events swirl around me, I often feel overwhelmed. So if you must walk away from FB, please do not stop blogging. Don't know if I have ever told you, both of my hips have been replaced. Left in 2004, right in 2008. Turned me into a new almost 76 year old granny! Hang in there dear heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you're doubly hip! No surprise in that; I always thought you were. As in, like, you have no intention of acting your age. Thus, you are a model for the rest of us!

      Delete
  14. Hi bear. I cannot find my blog and I need it as it is private and I have a lot to say. I do see you on Facebook. Glad you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HMMMM. Can't find your blog? Is that anything like can't find your house? Oh, dear! If you find it, could you let me read along? PLEASE?

      Blessings!

      Delete
  15. Yikes on that hip. I hope the new model works better! Um, I've been hearing about crazy hot weather for bears up there. I hope you have shed enough fur to be comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Reffie!
      Did I ever mention I live by a river? Well, I do. Great river to jump in and have a nice, cool swim, and maybe catch a fish or two (though, to be honest, I don't catch as many fish as I used to, because I'm not as young and thus not as fast as I used to be).
      As for the misplaced hip thing, it is just so not hip (if you catch my meaning).

      Delete
  16. Greetings from the UK. I had a break of three years from posting.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for dropping by, Andrew. If you're a poet, you might be interested in my very modest poetry blog, "Life in the Urban Forest." The link is at the top of this page.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.