Tuesday 2 January 2018

IN WHICH BEAR CONSIDERS CHANGE

Hello, friends. 

I'm briefly out of hibernation and looking around. It's actually far too cold to be awake, so I may be gone soon. 

It is the beginning of a new year and an ideal time to think about things new. Things like what in what will happen this year, or what do I want to do this year?

Bear is not in the habit of making "New Year's Resolutions" because they tend to die within about a week.

Anyhow, some "beginning at the beginning" thoughts.


1. I hope to get healthy this year.

The past year ended with Bear struggling to get better after surgery on my hip. The first challenge was to fight off the infections I picked up in the hospital. I finally did that, but the process left me behind in my overall recovery.

I'm past that block, and I'm up and walking without my cane or any other support (most of the time). But I'm still having a lot of pain in my legs, and in my hip (to a lesser degree). I'm taking more pain medication; I'm also looking forward to getting off medications entirely. That, I think, will be a long haul. Sadly.

My continuing worries have to do with the potential of getting addicted to the medication. Even worse, there is a possibility of my getting the pain hardwired into my brain so that, even when the physical problem in my legs is resolved, my  brain will still feel pain. That is a major challenge, I think, and pehaps the root of much of the addiction to opioids post-surgically. 

Another ethical puzzle on which I can work.

Other than taking more medication, I find that resting is the best way to deal with the pain. But that leads to my sleeping all hours of the day and night. For example, when I go to bed at night, I usually sleep an hour or two. Then I wake up, and I don't get back to sleep. Tonight, for example, I went to bed about 10:30, but woke up with bad leg pains about midnight. I haven't been back to sleep since. Will I get back to sleep by 3:00 a.m.? I hope so, but I don't know. But I'm still writing to you at 1:30, so that may give you an idea.


I think I'll quit here, and try to focus on getting to sleep again. I'll write more later today or tomorrow. (I'm hoping I will write a bit every day this year.) 

Blessings and Bear hugs to all!



Today's Weather Report

Most of Canada is being held in a deep freeze which is being complicated by heavy snow in some locations. 

In River City, the sky is cloudy and the temperature is -15°C, though it feels like -25C. (We've had tempeatures as low as -49C this week; people have not been out and about much in that cold!) We are supposed to have warmer weather this week; still below freezing, but much better than -49 or even -25!

19 comments:

  1. Good to see you back in blog land R-Bear, even if for a brief moment out of hibernation in this deep freeze. Sending love and many blessings for good health, peace and happiness in the New Year xoxo Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kindness!
      I'm still hibernating. And living with more problems. LIfe is "interresting."

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that you are in terrible pain. Did you go to therapy after the operation? My husband is also in a lot of pain and is having trouble walking. When he goes for therapy, he does better, but after awhile, he stops exercising and is right back to where he started. I hope you find a way to be healthy again, Bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been through physiotherapy. It helped a lot.
      I have also started to get massage therapy. It helps, too.
      The key, I think, is walking every day.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Good night, sweet Prince!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone in your concerns when it comes to health.

    We are having a miserable summery-winter here in San Diego and Riverside counties. 87 deg on Christmas Day. We need rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan.
      So many of us people people live with pain. The mosdt we can do is support one another with prayers and kind words. Those do help!

      Delete
  5. That post-surgical recovery is more about rest than anything, but slows you down a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I try to rest. But sometimes I need a rest from resting.
      Live can be strange.

      Delete
  6. Dear Bear, I sincerely hope that you will soon be feeling better and able to get by without the pain meds. We are in the middle of that polar vortex and it has been extremely cold here as well, though not quite as bad as yours. Living to the east of the Bay of Fundy means that we have been getting snow showers off the Bay since Christmas. Now a storm is expected. I think I should like to hibernate. I don't make resolutions for the new year, I just take each day as it comes. That way, things don't become overwhelming too much of the time. Take care, Bear and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear from you as you rise from slumber, Bear. I was addicted to opoids when I fractured my pelvis, but as hard as it was to get free of them, it was truly worth it. Probably one of the hardest things I've done. Doctors were no help, really. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Dear Rob Bear,
    I'm sorry the old year left you feeling ill, in pain, and generally out of sorts. I hope the coming one treats you better.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you tell a doctor you smoke, they blame everything on smoking without searching for a different cause. Since I no longer smoke, but so depressed I think about suicide a lot, the doctor blames EVERYTHING on depression without looking for another cause. I sleep for three days at a time, wake up for an hour and go back to sleep. Yes, that is a part of depression, but what worries me are these "long bone" pains that make me take opioids. In order not to get addicted, I'm waiting for a medical marijuana Card. But to me, that would just make me SLEEPIER, and then what. I miss the part of you and I who were email buddies. I hope we both can hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well hello there, bear! I understand: I'm tackling and tolerating a slipped disc (ouch) which has sidelined me until I figure out I need surgery. not excited about that. I hope you feel better and better with time and I hope we both have a cozy comforting springtime.
    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  11. I quite like looking through a post that can make people think.
    Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this weblog's content every day
    along with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience regarding unexpected feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It
    truly useful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to offer one thing back and help others like you helped me.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.