Monday 29 June 2015

UM, HELLO?

Contrary to what you might be thinking, Bear has not died and gone to . . . well, wherever. Bear has just been a bit overwhelmed.

You may recall from an earlier post that we had snow at the end of April. It came, and it went, fortunately. Or unfortunately.

Now it's so dry, one farmer told me he actually saw two trees fighting over a dog. Your Bear is a bit suspicious about that, but I wasn't there when it happened, and it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. 

Yesterday, the temperature was 45°C on one of our thermometers. If you keep track of the world in degrees F, that's about 112. Yup; 112°F. (No, I didn't try cooking an egg on the sidewalk; the sidewalk is dirty enough it would have been a waste of an egg.) And, of course, I'm wearing my fur coat, which is permanently attached to me. Any of you wear fur coats in the summer? You're probably too smart for that. 

This is far less than ideal farming weather. Basically, super hot + dry, dry = no crop. And since we live in the breadbasket of Canada, that is a bit of a food challenge. Now, reduced production here or there is survivable. But when broad swaths of the land are in the same condition, this does become something of a challenge. 

The good news is that "It ain't over til it's over" — as Yogi famously said. But this is the time when the grain heads should be filling out, so. . . .

In other news, the family survived its trip to the west, but not so wet, coast. Wally and I survived keeping each other company. Our professional football team lost its opening game yesterday, and our star quarterback — who may be out for the rest of the season! (To which Bear said "GGGGRRRRRRrrr.")

Other thing get a GGGRRRr?

1. I keep watching the run-up to next year's Presidential election in the US. Being a Canadian, I don't get to vote in the American election. But it is interesting to watch what the Republicans are doing. The head of our government (the Prime Minister) is an American-thinking Canadian. (Some people are using the word "fascist" to describe him!) His rise to power, we now know, happened with the help of the CIA and an Republican party offshoot. (We have the documents demonstrating this.) And the Canadian take on the US Republican Presidential hopefuls (about 15 at last count), is, well, not enthusiastic. (That is an understatement.)  Bernie Sanders is the only person I consider to be a reasonable candidate in either party.


 Elizabeth Warren would be great, too, but she wants to keep on being a Senator. Which is also good. She asks excellent questions.

2. With all the hot and dry weather, forest fires are becoming a huge problem. In River City, we're several hundred miles (or kilometres) south of the fires, but we're getting the smoke. Of course, it's a bit smokier up north. This fire is perhaps a hundred miles north of River City.

Simon Bird photo

3. Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Commission released its report on (white) Canadian relations with our indigenous peoples — First Nations, Metis, and Inuit. Predictably it revealed a major mess — with the word "genocide" being used. 



The Commission offered almost a hundred recommendations for improving indigenous-settler relations.

The federal government received the report with a yawn. It has no plans to change its destructive plans for indigenous people. Assimilation is the government goal. As in "getting the indian out of the Indian." As you might imagine, this government plan is not going over very well with a lot of people, indigenous and others. 

And that's some of what's happening these days. I'm trying really hard not to turn into an extremely grumpy Bear, but sometimes it is tough. Very tough.

Blessings and Bear hugs, folks!


Today's Weather Report
Mainly sunny today with a high of 30°C (86F). (I have a graveside service [mini-funeral] to do at a cemetery out on the prairie — that will be "interesting.") Down to about 17C tonight (about 65F) — which won't cool things much. There's a 30 per cent chance of a five-minute rain shower. All in all, drier than your Bear's sense of humour.

34 comments:

  1. Bear, this is the second time I leave a comment . Perhaps you need to review the settings...
    Great post,btw. I feel for you and your demise with such weather patterns. In my neck of the woods, we are growing tomatoes on a windy bluff that never had summers! Imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the settings, and tere may have been a glitch. So I tried something else. Hope it works. Thanks for the note.

      Yes, the weather is a bit weird. Actually, a whole lot weird. A;most as weird as North American politics. Sigh! Enjoy the tomatoes! ^f they go bad, you can always take them to a political rally!

      Delete
  2. Bernies my man. I just wish he had a chance, but the people who buy the elections aren't going to be investing in someone like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCOTUS and "Citizens United." Sadly. you're right bout elections being bought. Just enough people with too much money.

      Delete
  3. I missed you R-bear. Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda. I've missed visiting with my friends.

      Hope you're having a wonderful summer!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you back in action, Rob. message me some links to your take on Harper's rise to power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to be back, big guy!

      To err is human; to really foul things up takes a computer. The links are somewhere in the ether; I don't know where. if I find them, I'll let you know.

      Just keep enjoying your holiday!

      Delete
  5. Well, now, that's down right HOT! Maybe a nice shave is in order or at least a dip in a cool stream. There might be some fishies in the water!

    Glad you've checked in and didn't go to wherever bears go.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Reffie; things are a touch warm up here. The north is burning; the smoke is so bad it is obscuring this in River City. In fact, they're bad enough tat I can hardly see across the River, which you can normally see well beyond.

      No shave for this Bear. I am writing a story about a Bear who eded up in a city, where he was described as "a silly old man who wears a fur coat, and needs a shower, haircut, and job. I'll let you know when it's published. I expect that ill happen shortly after hell freezes over.

      Delete
    2. One other thought. A lot of Bears have seen people move into their land, and build in the forest. They even build pools. But when my friends check them out, invariably they find no fish. Only angry humans.
      Being a Bear is pretty tough these days.

      Delete
  6. Oh Bear it is very hot for your fur coat out there. i have no idea how you could keep cool. Here in Ontario it is wet wet wet and temp got up to 20 degrees celsius today almost hot for us lately. Farming oh yes it is tough all across this nation of ours. Hot and dry where you are cool wet and drowning feilds here. Our strawbrry season lasted four days too wet moldy strawberries no one wants. Hay here on this farm is stunted meaning a foot high after drought in May now drowning in puddles five inches high. Good thing beef is up I can see a lot going to market out west and here in the east. Take care stay cool as you can.The den is probably a good place for bears. Bear hug B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Buttons! I'm so sorry to hear that you're in a soggy mess. That's the trouble — Canadians can't seem to decide how to agree on their weather requests.

      BTW, can you walk on water when wearing your Pink Cadillac boots? I do hope so.

      I also hope the Beef prices hold for you. The whole process is so cyclical.

      Delete
  7. Bear, it's grand to see your post-hibernation post. About time, too.

    I agree with so much of what you write. If, when we might actually be in the same place at the same time, and had the opportunity to have a real chat...tea at the ready, I think we could sort out many issues the world faces. Ahh...then we'd have to try to convince some others....

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, our conversation might end with you being declared benevolent despot, and taking over the running of the US. You could not possibly do any worse than the clowns in charge at this point. (Oh, wait; I believe I have just insulted the professional clowns. I'm sorry!)

      Delete
  8. 112? Really? We've gotten up to 100. That's our high point so far this summer. Franklin likes to stay on the tile floor. We will visit the groomer soon and have some of his fur coat removed.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to living iside of a furnace, 112F isn't so bad. Just a bit peculiar up here. But over the last few years there have been a lot of peculiar things up here. I may want to move to New Zealand.

      Delete
  9. Yes, times are tough in many ways, especially in Canadian politics. You have good reason to be grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your understanding, Furry Gnome. But I don't think being grumpy really helps any conversation aimed at fixing things. Like, having any kind of reasonable conversation at all would be helpful at this point.

      Delete
  10. Good to see you again, Bear. I've been on a bit of a hiatus myself for similar reasons - shock and disgust at too many recent events to feel humorous.

    Well, I lived in the US for nearly 35 years and became less and less certain that it mattered much who was being voted for since corporate power won regardless. I'm still naive enough to hope someone can do something and I agree with you that Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren set good examples.

    It was good news here at least when the NDP won the Alberta elections. We can only hope that the autumn will find us with a new federal government - one that will listen to the Commission and to the climate scientists.

    All best wishes that you get some cooler, rainy weather soon. I wish we could send some of ours west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to hear from you, Susan!

      Last time I checked, the NDP has a significant lead over the CPC and Liberals. I'm a bit suspicious, but this is an interesting change.I just wonder if it will hold until October — which is the deadline for having an election. I fear that Harper may yet pull another trick out of the bag, and cancel the election for reasons of "National Security." Sigh! I never thought I would see Canada this messed up. But Harper did give us a warning that he would change everything.

      Delete
  11. 112? holy cow! We havent broken 60 in a week...well, maybe today. It was so cold this week I was wearing a wool jacket. I could have used your fur coat as doug's is a bit thin these days... I am concerned about American politics as well... I dont know who I will go with in the long run. Its a wait and see right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you've got colder weather and that Douglas isn't keeping you warm enough. Sigh! Some of us are too hot; some to cold. I suppose that balances out on average, but averages are such deceptive things.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for this post, Rob-Bear. I have sent money twice to Bernie and will probably send more even though he might not have much of a chance without going for the moneyed interests. But I have to follow my heart and I sure am glad to see you agree with me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie might not have the money, but it seems he may be changing the political conversation.
      One can always live hopefully!
      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  13. I hope we don't see smoke like this anytime soon. Last year's wildfire claimed so much.
    Politics...sigh. I have stopped watching TV news and skip front pages in the newspapers.
    Will the Indigenous ever ever get the respect they so richly deserve? Somehow, I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of fires all along the coast, California to Alaska (including BC and the Yukon). Not my idea of having fun.
      I'd entirely quit watching television, except we're in the middle of a federal election — one needs to keep track of the lies the politicians are telling, especially to the Indigenous. GRRRrr!
      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  14. Welcome back! What a super post. Yup US could use a Bernie.
    Yup our Harper has more than messed us up and as he heads to an election we head to a Canadian recession so it appears. Our Looney is way down and China can now trade with us bypassing the US dollar! ugh!
    The weather here in Ontario is rather UK like while UK is enjoying balmy heat along with much of Europe. It's a wacky global mess that we were warned would come. The glacial ice of the north ususlly kept things cool but there is less of it now and we have no way to fix that. We do have the Franklin vessel from it's fail attempt when it got cold in the northern passage.
    And As I type this the Greek vote is being counted. What's next? The FIFA match, US vs Japan.
    Stay cool at your end. Here we've got the fire on in the eve and it's July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Heidrun! I've been a bit "otherwise occupied" lately. In fact very much so. But it is raining today, so I'm trying to catch up on my correspondence. I'm afraid that every time I watch the new, I almost have a heart attack. Solution: quit watching the news. I have a little sign saying something about my urge to stay well-informed has overwhelmed my urge to stay sane. I think that covers the matter.
      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  15. Hello Bear, I am so glad to see you are posting again. I hope your weather is nicer than ours- terrible heat wave.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wet day, today, Terri. Other than that, very good overall. We've been plenty dry up here, and any rain is useful. But a bit late to help the farmers.
      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  16. Bears Noting has been included in our A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that we hope this helps to point even more visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-sunday-drive.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. “Anything is possible? Even God?”

    Of course. It is often claimed that atheists deny the possibility of God’s existence when their usual position is simply that there is little or no evidence to suggest God’s existence, either that or that the concept of God is incoherent. As for myself, I would dearly LOVE to believe that a benevolent deity was watching over me, so go to work, Rob-Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your posts are always so remarkably wonderful and interesting. Even though I read this months late I loved it. And you, dear Bear.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.