Thursday 17 April 2014

SOME THINGS NEW; SOME THINGS UPDATED

1. I was leaving our church building after Morning Worship on Sunday when I was assaulted . . . by snow. Snow, I tell you! S-N-O-W, for Heaven's sakes!

Not only that, it has snowed each and every day this week, and it did last Friday and Saturday as well.


I must confess this is a bit past the time of year when people would feel this to be an enjoyable experience.
(Can you hear the collective "GGGGGGRRRRRRRR!"?)

"Oh, it will be gone soon," commented one local wag. Whereupon the individual was nearly hung from the closest lamp post. Or would have been, had not a certain Bear intervened on that individual's behalf.


2.  The two "Superdogs" are still on duty. Meaning Bear gets dog therapy: set amounts at particular times, and impromptu  treatments throughout the day and night. 


Bear wishes to report he is feeling much better. Shadow (above) and Salsa (below) are none the worse for wear. Apparently. 

The one downside is that they're normally so close that I have to each very carefully that I do not run over them with my desk chair, or trip over them when I get out of bed. 


3. I know that quite a few of your are bibliophiles (lovers of books), and writers of books, too. Well, Bear has joined your ranks as a writer. 


Two thing conspired to make this happen.

a. A certain doctor of my acquaintance has been bugging, encouraging, nagging, and persuading me that I should write a book. Perhaps a book for children. Perhaps something about Bears. I know she means well, and she has my best interests at heart. But to shift from journalism to authorship? Hmmmm. Anyhow, she thinks I would benefit from a book. Frankly, royalties aren't that great, but, well, um, I have given up, acquiesced, thrown in the towel of resistance. I've written three whole pages. 

b. Then, lo and behold, a certain Bear appeared in my household. I have no idea where it came from, or how it got here. If I were more suspicious, I might say this seems all too Paddington-esque. (You do know Paddington Bear, don't you?)


Ecce Ursus: Behold, the Bear.

At which point your intrepid reporter grabbed his deer-stalker hat and camera (much better than a magnifying glass), and started his investigation. 

• Brown Bear (undersized, perhaps malnourished)
• Not talking (this is going to be difficult)
• Grey slouch hat and blue bags, all marked "Canada Post." The normal gear of a letter carrier. That's clear enough.

Despite his silence, I was, however, able to learn that his name is Ballentyne. Not sure if that is his (yes, he's a he) first name or last name. A matter of mental telepathy. Or at least I would have you believe that. 

As my grandson would say, "To be continued."


4. It has been a bit snowy over the last week. It's well past the middle of April, and most of us have had quite enough of this. But, well, it's snowing as I write. And this is a winter country. And climate change is happening, at least in part because of all the gunk being tossed into the air. 


Garbage in, garbage out (as the computer programmers would say).


5. This is the "Easter Weekend" or Triduum.  Today was Manudy  Thursday; tomorrow, Good Friday (how one considers a nasty public execution a good thing is, well, hmmmmm); Sunday, the Christian Festival of Easter, or Resurrection. Lots and lots of activity in churches, including ones like ours. After a lifetime of planning such things, I'm glad I'm not responsible for all that activity this year. 


6. Some time ago I might have mentioned I was getting more serious about writing poety. Well, I have two contributions in various stages of preparation. I hope at least one will be up on my poetry blog by the end of this month. 

7. You may have noticed that Bear has been making changes to his blog. A few more will be coming. Nothing drastic. 


8. Did I mention we have had a lot of snow in the last week?


Blessings and Bear hugs, friends!



Tonight's Weather Report

Overcast with light snow, temperature of 1C (34F) with the wind chill down to -6C (21F) Outlook for tomorrow, rain in the morning, afternoon and evening, with a possibility of isolated showers and/or snow on Saturday and Sunday. (There are words for such situations, but this is a family-rated blog, so I won't include them.)

45 comments:

  1. The snow will "eventually" stop. Hopefully that will happen before the beginning of summer.

    Good for you for starting a new project. I wish you lots of joy in writing your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if the "weather" is going to stop, it is making no signs of doing it any time soon. We had more snow overnight, and have just received a weather warning for freezing rain (which I can see is falling when I look out my study window).

      Bah! Humbug! Indeed!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  2. Bear, I also saw some snow falling this week. I was glad to have that view from the indoors side of a window! Enough is enough.

    Best wishes to you on the book and poetry. And of course, best wishes for a very Happy Easter. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moire snow in New York? "GGGRRR," indeed!

      Thanks for the good wishes, Frances. I'll try to enjoy the process. so far I have.

      Easter blessings and Bear hugs to you, too!

      Delete
  3. Well, I guess there is some symmetry to a Bear writing a book about Bears. And I do hope that it will be available to your vast public admirers, Bear. Sorry about the snow. It will stop soon, won't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you're right about the symmetry, Jan. I just hope nothing becomes unbearable. And yes, I'll share a few birts and snippets as something worthwhile comes along.

      As for the freezing rain, Environment Canada says: "Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery. Take extra care when walking or driving in affected areas. Freezing Rain Warnings are issued when rain falling in sub-zero temperatures creates ice build-up and icy surfaces." I think that about covers that. GGGGGGRRRRRrrr.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  4. I read Paddington Bear to my boys. We also have a board game for Paddington Bear that they enjoy. I like the classics! :-)
    Why not write a book? I'm sure you'd come up with something fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your encouragement to write a book. I don't think I'll use Paddington as any kind of model. My Bear wanders into the city from the country, and experiences a number of misadventures. His biggest problem is that everyone seems to think he is a silly old man who wears a fur coat, and who needs a hair cut and shave. And a job. If I say anything else, I'll spoil the book.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  5. Ugh. Sorry about the snow.

    Hee Hee. I noted a few beary changes around here. Now put that bear to work writing that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, Reffie, snow is snow and it happens, like the sunrise in the morning. You could make book on that. Um, er, no, you could make a book about that. There, that's better English.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  6. Your moniker begs to expand into long story-telling, as in book form...
    Sorry about the snow you're getting this late; but then, without snow, could you still be a bear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be Bear without any snow at all. Snow just makes me sleepy. Whether that improves my nature is yet to be seen.

      And I hope that if/when there is a book, people will say, "That Bears noting."

      Blessings and Bear hugs, Rosaria!

      Delete
  7. I'm pleased to report that at home in Derbyshire we had no snow at all this (last?) winter. Well, just the odd flurry that didn't stick.
    The previous winter we had so much it was more than enough for two years.
    Here in France it's now mostly warm and sunny, the roses are out and the wisteria is in full and glorious bloom.
    It always amazes me how different our worlds can be, weatherwise, when it's possible to feel so close via a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your place in France sounds wonderful! My roses look dead as they emerge from the snow. By May, perhaps, they will show some signs of life. Perhaps.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  8. No one should have that much snow and I wish the climate change would work more in your favor like it seems to be doing here. You've got a great bear there and I hope he enjoys his new home with you. Remember to give him a cuddle every once in a while. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, the weather has gone from appealing to appalling in very short order. We almost got some spring in there. Or that was spring, summer and autumn all together, and we're back into winter again? @$£^%*@@% (Sorry, that's Bearspeak; it's rude so I won't translate it.)

      Hope you, Tyke, and Gandhi are all doing well.

      Blessings and Bear hugs.

      Delete
  9. What a fun and newsy post! That little bear could inspire anyone to write a book! I am so excited to watch this adventure unfold for you. I read your comment-reply that tells a bit of your story idea. It sounds totally wonderful!! Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post, Susie; I enjoyed writing it.

      The book is a bit on the overwhelming side fright now. It's in the "Oh dear; what have I gotten myself into" stage. I expect the panic will subside. If it looks half decent, I'll self-publish about 10 copies. Our granddaughter (aged 6) may do some illustrations for me. She's getting pretty good at computer art.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  10. The two lawn chairs, oh so hopeful, now covered with snow. A Statement in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly Susan. Well put. Disturbingly well put. Sigh!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  11. If it's any consolation for you it's still cold here plus we keep having lots of rain. Ah well.

    I hope your Easter Sunday is a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard there is all kinds of nastiness on the east coast. My brother-in-law in Fredericton has a flood on his hands, and it is a mess!

      Hope your spring "smartens up" in short order.

      Blessings and Bear hugs, susan! Regards to Crow. (Perhaps I could find a place for him in my book; would he be offended?)

      Delete
  12. Oh that blasted SNOW- it doesn't seem to want to leave! Writing a children's book- about a bear? I think that is a splendiforous idea!

    I hope you can take a walk without the coat and hat soon! Have a wonderful weekend, and blessings back at ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Terri, I'm Bearing up despite the weather. Son enough I'll be out walking and working in the yard.

      The Bear book is coming along, so to speak. Not sure what to make of it.

      Easter blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  13. Oh my word I can imagine that more snow is driving you up the wall.

    Such beautiful dogs.

    Good luck with your writing! I think it's a great idea. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up the wall and around the bend, I think, Misha.

      But I'm all right for the shape I'm in. So that's the good news.

      Easter blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  14. My oh my, this is one loaded post! First, how's the weather up there, eh? (haha) Second, those are beautiful dogs, although I am not quite sure how they happened to come into your life. Third, I am quite happy that you have decided to write a book; congrats on those first three pages and may they be followed by many more. Finally, Ballentyne seems to be his name alright. He seems a fine bear and I'm glad he came into your life and that you were able to realize what his own true name is. My mother gave me the most amazing bear slippers way in my adulthood, sort of as a joke, but also because they are so remarkable she knew I would love them. I have never worn them; they sit on the shelf in my closet where I see them daily. They told me straight away what their names were: Otis and Sophie. They send their regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, my; such an interesting reply, Lydia! The dogs are being cared for while their Humans are away on holidays.

      I have ce to the conclusion that, if I am going to turn these ideas into something the length of a book, I'll have to write about three pages a day for quite a few months. That seems like a major undertaking (said the Bear, trying not to sound too funereal).

      Ballentyne thanks you for sending the best wishes of Otis and Sophie. (He trust they will help you put your best foot forward.) He asked me to return the greeting.

      Easter blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  15. I just left a long comment that I hope stuck around, because it is way past my bedtime and I cannot recreate it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hard to believe the two deck chairs covered in snow. Somewhere, underneath all the white stuff, spring is trying its best to show itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since all that snow, Amanda, we have had several days of rain. The snow is almost completely gone. It has been replace with fog and id=e. But since we are promised a temperature of 15C (59F), I think things will star progressing reasonably from here. Pehaps wishful thinking, but I'm being hopeful.

      Easter/Passover blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  17. Good to see your spirits are high, despite the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Cosmo; ready for a spirited discussion at the drop of a metaphor.

      Peace and joy!

      Delete
  18. Pay no mind to the snow, it's just global warming. It just gives you more indoor time for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Global warming, indeed. Bah! Humbug! And as for inside and writing, I've had six months of that; a change of scene and routine would be helpful!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  19. It is past time for the snow to be a memory. I am sorry you still have to deal with it. Good luck with your book! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have changed for the better, Kathy. After a couple of days of rain, which helped to melt some of the snow, our temperature today is 14C (57F). So whatever snow is left will soon be gone.

      My wife, who does Zentangles, had a look at your rabbit, and though it was very good.

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  20. I hope you write that book, really I do.
    All or snow is gone and it's warm and sunny here today.

    So glad you are feeling better.
    Love those dogs.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margie. I didn't realize I hadn't replied to this. Sorry!

      Blessings and Bear hugs!

      Delete
  21. Happy writing. ...perhaps a caniche meets rescue dogs is next???

    ReplyDelete
  22. A Bear book would be so great! Those dogs look so well brushed by the way, who does it? Samson's overdue for a good brush out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. " I was leaving our church building after Morning Worship on Sunday when I was assaulted . . . by Snow. Snow, I tell you!"

    I get blamed for a lot more mischief than I actually create. Yes, I heard about your snow, and I'm sorry. Say what you will about America, it's at least further south than Canada. If things were otherwise, maybe I would live in Canada. At least, I would seriously consider it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assaulted by Snow, but not the irrepressible Snowbrush, Mrister, sir! I have this very strong steeling that Snowbrush would not assault anyone, being the gentleman that he is.

      Sorry about any confusion, sir!

      Peace and joy, and perhaps Bear hugs.

      Delete
    2. As hot weather moves into the U.S. Northwest, I can but hope that some of the heat is making it up your way.

      Delete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.