Monday 2 August 2010

FOOLISHNESS? WASTE? (ANOTHER LAMENT)

This house is not far from our home. I didn't realize what was happening until I passed it recently. It is literally right across the street from the river which runs through our city.



As you can see, it is a large house; perhaps a quarter or a fifth of it has been demolished. The building looks structurally sound. The windows are in good repair. The outside was brick-covered. For all intents and purposes, a good house. 

But it is being torn down to make way for a bigger, fancier house.

I've long believed that the more affluent we become, the more effluent we produce. And I'm not just thinking of sewage; I'm thinking of waste in general. A perfectly good house, which might have been able to accommodate two families, is being turned into garbage, taken to the dump, at a time when we have a lot of homeless people in our city (an issue which, ironically, I raised in my last posting). 

To quote a couple of lines from a contemporary hymn, by a friend and colleague:

    when waste and want live side by side,
    it's gospel that we lack.

Or to return to my earlier premise, homelessness is an ethical and spiritual problem long before it's an economic problem. It's problem with what we value as human beings.

Sigh!

7 comments:

  1. Obviously it is a great location so the value of the lot was worth more than the value of the house and lot.
    I'm sure the previous owner would have been happy to see two families of homeless people outbid the current owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ® BF: Somehow, I doubt your cheery assessment. People who are homeless usually don't have the money to bid on a place like this one. Nor do their families — or the people wouldn't be homeless in the first place.

    ® potsoc: Sadly, I'm with you, Paul. It's just so heartbreaking! And it's happening practically next door to where I live. Doesn't get much closer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could fit MY house in there three times and still have room for our car. In defense of my small home, I used to say (and now believe that) WE CAN ONLY BE IN ONE ROOM AT A TIME.

    Every time I pass an empty building, I think of the homeless who could use it. I swear I do. I think a lot of that has to do with being raised by parents who lived through the Depression. I was always warned, regarding being homeless: "it could happen to you in a heartbeat".

    Uh, on second thought, maybe mom WASN'T referring to the Depression.

    But I DO, DO, DO think of the homeless with every empty building I pass, and during every too cold, or too hot, evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. You're on my blog today....run bear. Save yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ® Dana: Thanks for your reflections on empty buildings and homelessness.

    As for your blog, what an amazing confusion of "taking liberty" and "pure fiction." But at least you spelled my name right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was being sarcastic, RB. It may be unethical and immoral but if you ain't got the beans, you don't buy the shack.
    Where we as society have failed those people is that for whatever reasons they do not have/have not had the opportunity to earn the money to buy a house. Not riverfront property, but a home of any sort.
    It is not a case of distribution of existing wealth as a distribution of opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you've dropped by the Bear's den. Please leave a note -- getting notes is such fun, and often informative. I'll get back to you, here or by e-mail, as soon as I can (or, if it's winter, after I wake up). 'Til then, please Bear with me.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE AND MEME-FREE SITE. While I'm honoured to receive awards, I find they take way too much energy in completing. Thanks, but no, thanks.